FIPO is a purely medical federation of independent medical organisations, specialist groups and consultant representatives which speaks on behalf of independent medical organisations and specialty groups and whose objectives are;
- to promote the highest possible standards in the independent sector underpinned by clinical governance and audit
- to maintain the independence of the consultant and the freedom of choice for patient and doctor
- to provide a forum for the representatives of independent practitioners to agree common policy relating to medical practice
- to provide a mechanism for discussions with insurers, hospital providers, patient groups and others on standards, complaints procedures, reimbursements, recognition issues, codes of practice and all such matters relating to independent medical practice
FIPO is a non-profit company, limited by guarantee. Its membership consists of all the national medical groups and private specialty organisations with an interest in private practice. An important linkage is with the Medical Advisory Committees (MACs) of independent hospitals in the UK.
The structure of FIPO consists of a Membership Council, an Executive Board and a Chairman.
- The Council consists of representatives from all the member organisations together with 10 Medical Advisory Committee representatives. The Council meets twice each year to set policy.
- The Executive Board consist of elected or co-opted, non-salaried Directors who provide the day to day management of the Federation. [current board]
- The chairman is elected by the Executive Board and is currently Mr. Geoffrey Glazer.
FIPO is also responsible for the National Medical Advisory Committee, [FIPO NAT-MAC] bringing together local Medical Advisory Committees.
FIPO is supported by the independent practice committees of many
FIPO is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England, No. 04148752
FEDERATION OF INDEPENDENT PRACTITIONER ORGANISATIONS
130 Wood Street